Providence Alaska Medical Center
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
The majority of inpatient rotations are at Providence Alaska Medical Center (PAMC), the largest hospital and primary medical referral center in Alaska. JCAHO-accredited, the 401-bed hospital offers the full range of tertiary medical services with physicians representing every medical specialty except some pediatric subspecialties and transplant surgery. It is extensively involved in the community and remains the only hospital safety net for the uninsured of Anchorage. The hospital is part of the sisters of Providence Health System, which owns and operates a comprehensive array of health related services in California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska. The Sisters of Providence have been in Alaska since 1902 when they brought health care to Nome, Alaska. They also operate smaller hospitals in Kodiak and Seward, Alaska.
Providence Alaska Medical Center provides quality health care through a number of specialty centers, including:
- Children’s Hospital at Providence encompassing Family Maternity Center with perinatal and neonatal services for high-risk births
- Level 3 Newborn Intensive Care Unit, Pediatrics Intensive Care Unit and a pediatric specialty clinic
- Cancer Therapy Center
- Heart Center
- Mental Health Services offering chemical dependency recovery services, adult and adolescent mental health units
- Rehabilitation services
- Diagnostic and intervention radiology department
- 24-hour Emergency Department and trauma center with LifeGuard Air Ambulance
Providence Hospice is a community-based program that provides comfort care at the end of life through intensive symptom management, and support of patient/family. Providence offers Medicare-Certified hospice care for adults with a life limiting illness and prognosis of less than six months. The goal is to improve the quality of life for the patient and family.
With hospice care, a patient and family centered team provides care in the home. The interdisciplinary team (IDG) includes nurses, social workers, chaplains, aides, volunteers and, physician – either the primary physician or hospice physician –who know the patient best. The patient and family drive the plan of care to best meet their own goals of care. In general, what most patients and families desire are: comfort, quality and dignity with a focus on remaining safe and comfortable at home.
Providence Hospice is the only Medicare certified hospice in Anchorage that provides primarily a “routine” level of home hospice care. In addition, there are three other levels of care that might be offered, depending on patient and family goals and the hospice team’s assessment of need. Those levels are:
- Continuous care – short term intensive services in the home
- General Inpatient – short term acute care under hospice at PAMC
- Respite care – short term care in a designated facility
Providence Hospice highlights:
- Nationally accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Health Care, Inc.
- Our model is family centered community care that focuses on meeting the patient and family goals of care at the end of life
- A RN case manager is assigned to each individual/family receiving care
- We provide 24/7 access to an RN for urgent questions, needs, and support
- One year bereavement support for the family at no additional charge consisting of mailings, memorial services, and grief support groups
- Care is provided in the home by a multidisciplinary team of care providers committed to the Providence mission
- Medication for pain and symptom management
- Durable medical equipment (DME)
- Nursing aide visits to assist with personal care
- RN case management with regular visits at home by an RN
- 24 hour RN availability for questions or concerns
- Physician oversight
- Spiritual Care
- Social worker support
- Volunteer services
- Bereavement support
Providence Extended Care Center & Providence Transitional Care Center
Hearth. Health. Home.
Welcome to Providence Extended Care, an innovative approach to elder care.
Providence Extended Care provides long-term skilled nursing care and rehabilitation services in a setting that is truly a home. Providence Transitional Care Center provides skilled care and rehabilitation services in friendly, comfortable surroundings. The facilities boast access to all the quality medical services of a typical nursing facility in the setting of a traditional home — with a hearth, a shared dining room and kitchen, courtyard/patio, free in-room cable TV, 96 private bedrooms and bathrooms.
Within Providence Extended Care Center, the philosophy isn’t just about architecture. In the homes, residents are more actively involved in all facets of life, including planning menus and activities, picking furnishings and decor, and controlling their own schedules. Even their direct caregivers offer a different kind of support, working in the home to build strong relationships while providing for elders’ health needs and personal care.
The services provides could include:
- Full array of medical and spiritual services
- Skilled Nursing Care
- Intermediate Nursing Care
- Physical, Speech and Occupational Therapies
- Full dietary services including registered/licensed dietitians
- Social Services
- Hair stylist
- Contracted dentist
- Activity Therapy